I am having weight loss surgery, specifically the Gastric Band surgery (most likely the REALIZE ). This is not some magic pill, a magical fix the surgeon will put in my body, it is more of a tool. It is a tool to help me achieve the healthy life, I have longed for, but has eluded me for too long.
I went this afternoon for a consultation with Dr. Jon Schram at BARIX CLINICS in Ypsilanti, MI. I learned some information I did not know about Gastric Bypass and Gastric Band surgery. But most of it I did know from the research I have done in the past and most recently for the last week and a half. I owe a great deal of gratitude and love to my friend Brandy, for giving me the information about the Barix clinics and by extension her friend who shared her experience with Barix. It was strange, while I went to their website and researched them, I also went to the message boards attached to Barix, and what I found was a place full of amazing, courageous and inspiring people. It was as if a lightbulb went off and I knew, it was what I needed to do. But still, I have prayed I am making the choice that God wants for me. I believe this is what I am meant to do, his choice for me.
So today, I went and I was completely excited and confident, no worries. Heh, yeah right! Once I got there and got my vitals taken, I was freaking out feeling very self-concious and doubting what I was doing there. I have never been so happy to have texting on my phone in my life. To my friends and sister, Chralin, Brandy, Melissa and Cindy, I love you, you were my rock and your encouraging words calmed me.
It was just me and another man who brought his wife, for the group consultation, then Dr. Schram met with us individually. I felt completely comfortable with him and he was incredibly nice. Pretty much everyone I have met so far has been kind. And truthfully, I did not expect anything else after all I have read from previous patients. I believe in my decision. Next step, is pre-authorization from the insurance company. Barix has their own insurance department and you deal with one person from start to finish. I am expecting a call by next week some time. Dr. Schram did not forsee any additional testing on his end, but Medical Mutual most likely will require a Psych Eval. I'm not worried about this, my head is in this.
So there it is, the big news. I have a long road ahead, but I am confident it will be filled with more good than bad. Challenges are good for the soul, they are the only way we grow. I do ask my IRL friends and family for prayer and guidance when I seek it, and for any
Hugs,
Jenn
3 comments:
I'm proud of you sweetie!! You can do it! love ya, sarah
Keep up the prayers. You can do this. And add my prayers for all good to come from your decision.
~ Yaya
Yaya's Changing World
Congrats for making such an important decision. I've been thinking about this surgery as well, but my insurance doesn't pay for it.
Good luck with everything. I can't wait to read about the results and your journey with it.
Post a Comment